Confused with pattern. Help!

I am starting a vest for my dad while waiting for my circular needles to arrive from Knitpicks (before I can continue my shawl). Being a newbie, I need help to clarify the following pattern:

BACK: With smaller needles, cast on 97 (107, 117, 127, 137) sts.
Row 1 (RS): P. Got this
Row 2: K. Got this, too
Row 3: K 2, p 3; rep from * to * to last 2 sts, k 2. Got this
Row 4: P 2, k 3; rep from * to * to last 2 sts, p 2. Got this. I don’t quite understand the following pattern: Rep Rows 3 and 4 until rib measures 2" this may sound stupid - 2" from where to where?, ending with a WS row. Work 2 rows Rev St st. Change to larger needles. Work in St st until piece measures 15 (15, 15, 16, 16)" from beg, ending with a WS row. Shape armholes: Bind off 7 (8, 8, 9, 10) sts at beg of next 2 rows. Dec 1 st at each end of next row, then every other row 6 (7, 7, 8, 9) more times – 69 (75, 85, 91, 97) sts. Work even until armholes measure 9 (9, 10, 10, 11)". Bind off all sts.
Huh?!@#%^&&%?!?

Anyhow… row 4 might as well be written in Greek because I’m such an idiot!

Somebody help, please!

Rep Rows 3 and 4 until rib measures 2" this may sound stupid - 2" from where to where?, ending with a WS row. Work 2 rows Rev St st. Change to larger needles. Work in St st until piece measures 15 (15, 15, 16, 16)" from beg, ending with a WS row. Shape armholes: Bind off 7 (8, 8, 9, 10) sts at beg of next 2 rows. Dec 1 st at each end of next row, then every other row 6 (7, 7, 8, 9) more times – 69 (75, 85, 91, 97) sts. Work even until armholes measure 9 (9, 10, 10, 11)". Bind off all sts. Huh?!@#%^&&%?!?

You’re working the ribbing until it’s 2 inches from the cast on.

Reverse St st is purl on the right side and knit on the wrong side.

Regular st st is knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side. You do this until the entire thing is 15 inches from the cast on row, working a purl row last.

Then you’ll bind off at the beginning of the next two rows for the underarms, and decrease every other row for the armhole shaping, until the armhole is the right length.

The pattern is written in a pretty straightforward manner, so if you just do it step by step, you should be ok. You have a while to go before you get to the armholes, though. :wink:

I read from Stitch 'n Bitch that we’re supposed to read the pattern from beg. to end before we pick up the needles. Your suggestion makes more sense - read it as I knit along.

Thanks a bunch, Ing!

It’s ok to look over a pattern so there are no surprises, but I always say that trying to understand exactly what is happening in a pattern just from reading it is like trying to read the entire instruction booklet for putting together a bicycle and expecting to be able to picture how the whole thing goes together. Do each thing step by step so you can see what it is you’re supposed to do on the next step.