Confused. :s

Hi there,

I am new to this site & so glad I’ve found it! I’m confused with an easy pattern for a baby sweater. http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0071.html?iP=1&p=2&ss=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lionbrand.com%2Fpatterns%2FL0071.html

I’m at the “left front yoke” it says to cast on 18 stitches. Cast it on to what???

Please help. I’m so confused.

Just cast on to your needle with a new yarn end - this begins a new piece. Reading further - after you knit 3 rows with those stitches you’ll be knitting the back and right yoke stitches onto the same needle to join them.

Thankk you. Does this look right?

Let’s try this again.

:thumbsup:

I posted the link in my original post. Is that not OK?

No, a link is fine to the pattern. It helps to see your work sometimes when you’re asking a question. I was giving you a thumbs up to your picture of your cast on stitches. Looks like you did a good job.

Oh ha ha ha! I understand now! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Oh man. I’m still confused. :???:

What part confuses you? The first part of the sweater is on holders at this point, take a new yarn end and cast on the sts, then you work across the back stitches and the sts on the other side of the yoke.

The diagram with the sweater pattern is actually quite helpful. Follow that to keep yourself oriented. I think the pattern is missing a line, added in italics below. After you cut the yarn, you’ll have the back yoke on a holder and the right front yoke bound off. Now start the left front yoke with no sts on the needle by casting on 18sts. It’s like starting a totally new piece. You’ll work these 18sts for 3 rows, put the back yoke on the needles and then work the back yoke & front yoke sts separately until the join row.

Next Row: K18 (for right front yoke), slip 18 sts to a holder (for back yoke); leave yarn attached to back yoke for later use.
Working over 18 right front yoke sts only, k 3 rows. [I]Bind off the 18sts and cut yarn leaving ~6 inches to weave in later.
[/I]LEFT FRONT YOKE
Cast on 18 sts (for left front yoke).
K 3 rows.
Join Left Front and Back Yokes

salmonmac, thank you. Perhaps that is all that is missing. That makes sense along with what suzeeq said. I’ve emailed lion brand as well.

I’m not sure about the binding off though as it’s suppose to all be worked in one piece?

This “The yoke and sleeves of this sweater are knit in one piece, then stitches for the back and fronts are picked up along the edge of the yoke and knit.” just means the yoke and sleeves are knit in one piece, not the whole sweater.

Oh my goodness I have so much to learn! LOL!

That edge has to bind off so that it complements the cast on edge that was your initial question. Look at the diagram and you’ll see that those two edges (the bound off and cast on) form the upper ends or edges of the cardigan fronts. There’s no edging on them, just the bind off and cast on. The picked up sts for the fronts will then be knit down from the yoke and that will complete the front opening on the cardi.
Believe me, we all have a lot to learn! Good luck with it and it you have more questions, come back.

Are you new to knitting, Nedine?

Fairly new yes. I’ve done a few easy things. Made myself a toque.

The thing I find most frustrating is interpreting the patterns. I don’t always get it right the first time. I’m self taught. Learned everything from YouTube. :slight_smile:

I honestly find the diagram a bit confusing because I’m not sure what the yoke is. I know I should know this & it will all make sense once I have it made.

Okay, so now I have two pieces & I need to join the left fron and back yokes.

[I]Next Row: Knit across 18 left front yoke sts; using yarn attached to back yoke, knit across back yoke sts (from holder).
Working left front and back yoke sts at the same time, with separate strands of yarn, continue in Garter st until neck opening measures about 5 in.
[/I]

Okay so the left front yoke has 3 rows & is on a needle. I’m guessing I need to put them both oNext Row: Knit across 18 left front yoke sts; using yarn attached to back yoke, knit across back yoke sts (from holder).
Working left front and back yoke sts at the same time, with separate strands of yarn, continue in Garter st until neck opening measures about 5 in.
n the same needle. Just seperate strands. Which side do I put the left front yoke to start? I need to join them later.

Does my question even make sense?

I hope this is correct. My 5" will include the 2.5" that are already there. Correct?

No you’ve put it in the middle. It should be attached at the other edge of the section you have it on.