*confused* pattern question

I found this pattern listed as an easy beginner pattern… I am however confused:

Gauge - 4 sts and 4 rows = 1 inch

Directions -
Cast on 22 sts. Knit across for 3 rows.
Start pattern :
Row 1 - Knit 2, * knit 2 tog, 3 times * ( over 6 sts ), then y o , knit one 6 times, * knit 2 tog 3 times *, knit 2.
Row 2- Knit 2, purl 18 , knit 2 .
Rows 3 and 4 - Knit across.

Repeat rows 1 through 4 for pattern, until about 46 inches from beginning, ending on row 4. Then work row 1 once more.

Knit 3 rows, then bind off in knit st.

Weave in any yarn ends.

Note - We used Lion Brand Homespun yarn for this project. There was enough yarn left from our 46 inch size scarf to make it about 3 or 4 inches longer. If you want a longer scarf, you will need an extra skein of yarn.

So a very simple pattern it seems but… following this won’t the scarf become smaller and smaller as one knits stitches together?

What does “then y o , knit one 6 times” mean? Does this mean knit one stitch 6 times with yarn out? I’m not sure how one would go about this and as a “beginner” I’m not sure this scarf is really cited correctly as being a beginners!!

I’m so confused can you help? :shock: :roflhard:

Yo means yarn over. It’s an increase. So all your decreases are offset by increases and the scarf will stay the same width.

When the pattern says yo, bring the yarn forward between your needles to the front. As you knit the next stitch in the directions, your yarn will go over the needle and create a ‘yo’ stitch which creates an eyelet.

So yo, k1 6 times means yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1.

aahaaaaa! Thank you Ingrid that makes sense =D :thumbsup: I was wondering how I was supposed to knit one stitch 6 times! :doh:

If you ever have a question about an abbreviation, Amy has a great link above with videos for many of them! :thumbsup: