Confused on sweater neck shaping

Hey everyone! I’ve been looking all over the internet to figure out how to make this pattern work for my sweater i’ve been making, but so far I haven’t had any luck. Hopefully someone on the forum here can help me figure this out!
The pattern is a sweater knit in two pieces; the back and the front. It is knit on size 7 straight needles (although I’m using my circular needles to alleviate some of the pressure on my elbows), and the gage for the pattern is 4.5 sts per inch, while I’m knitting with a 6 sts per inch. I already completed the back, and now I’m on the part where i need to be shaping the neck hole for the front. The pattern goes as follows (I haven’t changed the stitch requirements to fit my gage, so I’m actually working with 40 sts on my stitch holder instead of 30)

[SIZE=“3”][B]FRONT[/B][/SIZE]
Work as for back until beg of shoulder shaping.
[B]Next row[/B] Mark 24 (28, 30, 32) center sts for beg of neck. Work as for first row of shoulder shaping on back, work across to first marked st, place center 24 (28, 30, 32) sts on stitch holder, work to end. Cont to work shoulders as for back and, working both sides at once, bind off 5 sts from each neck edge once (once, twice, twice), then 3 (4, 4, 3) sts twice (twice, once, three times), then 2 (3, 3, 0) sts twice (once, once, 0), then 0 (1, 2, 0) sts 0 (once, once, 0). Work on rem sts until shoulder shaping has been completed. Bind off rem st.
[SIZE=“3”][B]FINISHING[/B][/SIZE]
Sew right shoulder seam.

What is confusing me is that i don’t know how to get the yarn to the other side without having a huge string attaching between each row. Would I simply only be working on the left side, then go to finish the right at a different time? The wording on this thing has me completely confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

From this point on you’ll be working the left and right front sides separately. You have to attach new yarn either from another ball or the other end of the one you’re already using.

Thank you thank you! I was really confused by the wording. I was thinking that I would have to do that, but it made no indication of it, so I was unsure of how to proceed. Thanks so much for your help!

Great, I’m glad you’re back on track. You’ll gain confidence about things like this with more experience. You’ve made great progress already.