Confused on sts

So I’m attempting to make my first dress for my cousin’s little girl. The top is done in a flab that is buttoned to the back. On the front flap I"m supposed to be decreasing until I have (according to the pattern) 22 sts. But here is where I’m confused. Just about everything I have done the smallest size always has the fewest number of sts but here’s is what it says:

"Front Flap
Row 1: Purl to marker, remove marker and slip shoulder and neck sts to stitch holder or scrap yarn, or let them rest on the circular needle.
Row 2: K1, k2tog, knit across to last 3 sts, ssk, k1: 40 [45, 48, 53, 56] sts.
Row 3: Purl across.
Maintaining stripe sequence, repeat Rows 2 and 3 until you have 23 [27, 31, 33, 39] completed stripes: 26 [31, 22, 27, 30] sts.
Change to C2.

For size 4 years only:
Work another 4 rows as above: 27 sts.

All sizes:
Shape collar as follows:
Row 1: Purl across.
Row 2: K1, ssk, k2, turn.
Row 3: Sl first st, purl across.
Row 4: K3, ssk, k4, turn.
Row 5: Sl first st, purl across.
Row 6: K7, ssk, knit to last 3 sts before end of row, k2tog, k1.
Row 7: P4, turn.
Row 8: Sl 1, k to end.
Row 9: P3, p2tog, p4, turn.
Row 10: Sl 1, k to end.

Break both strands of yarn."

I might get why size 4 has more sts than size 6 since you do another 4 rows but even the size 2 has more sts than size 6. So do I just not get it or does the pattern have a typo?

Thanks

http://petitepurls.com/Spring11/spring2011_p_nova.html

Yes, it could well be a typo. Contact the site and see if there’s a correction or if the designer can supply one.

Don’t worry about the number of sts across the width at this point(the front flap). Doing the extra rows for the 4-year old size puts it intermediate in [I]length[/I] between the 2 year old and the larger sizes and that’s what matters here. The same thing is going to happen on the back, you’ll need extra rows for the 4 year old size.