Confused...Help!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]I wonder if someone could help me i am very confused :shrug: my pattern reads cast on 77 sts. 1st Row *K2 cast off 2 sts, rep from * to last 2sts K2 this should leave me with 47 sts. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Obviously i am doing this wrong as i end up with a different amount of sts :-x your help would be very much appreciated.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]So far i have only posted when i need help…i hope you dont mind, i would love to join in with you all…but dont really have much time on the computer.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Many thanks Lulu[/COLOR][/FONT]

The math just doesn’t add up. For one, the row 1 pattern would require an even number of sts, so casting on 77 sts makes no sense. For another thing, following the row 1 pattern would leave you with 39 sts. Do you have a link to the pattern? Maybe on the whole it would make more sense.

Yes that is what i end up with 39sts…i have contacted the knitting help line for this pattern three times…but they have not come back to me…its so annoying

Can you either link the pattern or type in more of the pattern so we can see what somes next? Maybe it will be easier to figure out if we see where it’s going.

Ok more of the pattern
[B]Short Sleeves Both Alike[/B]
Using 3.25 Needles cast on 77 sts
1st Row *K2 cast off 2sts, repfrom 8 to last 2 sts K2
Leaving 47 sts
2nd Row knit to end dec 2sts
Leaving 45 sts
3rd Row *k1, P1, rep from * to last st K1
4th Row P1, *K1, P1, rep from * to end
Rep 3rd and 4th Rows once more
The next part is shaping the top
Have attached picture of what i am knitting, does this help? i hope so
Many thanks

That’s very odd. Since you’re casting off nearly half the sts, you would be left with a little more than half of 77 - like 39.

Oh I just thought of something – Maybe it means k2tog? That would about work… K2, k2tog, k2, k2tog, etc. If a pattern’s been translated from another language, sometimes decrease comes out cast off.

Alright, I’ve been doing math. I would say stick to ending up with 47 sts after the decrease row, which means changing the number of sts cast on. If you stuck to the *k2, cast off 2 pattern, you would have to cast on 91 sts, which seems ridiculous. If you opted to *k2, cast off 1, you could cast on 69 sts, which sounds better. You would have to add an extra knit stich to make it come out to 47 sts. So after you cast on, your next row would look like this:
*k2, cast off 1. rep 11 times. k3. cast off 1. *k2, cast off 1. rep 10 times. k2

If you k2tog instead of casting off, you would need to cast on 62 sts. Then your decrease row would look like this:
*k2, k2 tog. rep 15 times. k2.

Now, I’m fairly new to all this and someone may know better than I. But this is the best I could figure. Good luck!

The pic of the short sleeves shows the picot-like edge, so I would go with casting on 94 (2x47) and the follow the rest of the directions. It sure will be cute!

:woohoo: I have finished one sleeve :slight_smile: thank you all so much for your help :slight_smile: i really appreciate it.
I wish i had the time to join in with you all…and hope you dont mind me popping in for help now and again.
Thank you again
Lulu :woot: