Confused dividing for left back (cute angel top)

Hello! Never posted on here before so here goes nothing… :stuck_out_tongue:

So i’m currently knitting an ‘Angel Top’ for a little bubba soon to be in our family and i’ve done the lace pattern of the bottom of the cardigan and now i have to ‘divide for left back’. It says this:

Break off M. Use C for next 6 rows.
1st row: cast on and knit 2 sts k1 (k1 yn fwd k3 sl 1 k2 psso etc etc) 3 times k3 k2 tog and work on these 37 stitches.

How on earth do i know how many to cast on?! Or does it mean that the [I]knit 2 sts k1 (k1 yn fwd k3 sl 1 k2 psso etc etc) 3 times k3 k2 tog[/I] is the ‘cast on’?

ANY help would be extremely gratefully received :slight_smile:

Cast on 2 stitches onto your left needle (use knit or cable cast on) and then knit these 2 stitches. Then work the k1, etc.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new arrival!

Just CO 2 sts, knit them, then do the rest of them as stated after that.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!! :cheering:

Break off M. Use C for next 6 rows.
1st row: cast on and knit 2 sts k1 (k1 yn fwd k3 sl 1 k2 psso etc etc) 3 times k3 k2 tog and work on these 37 stitches.

You have been working over a number of stitches on your needles at this time with the contrast color. After you work the 6 rows mentioned you then cast on 2 stitches and knit those 2 stitches and then continue across the rest of the stitches you have been working on according to the rest of the directions given there. That last bit I’m not sure of. Maybe it is telling you that you will have 37 sts when you finish that row.