Confused by increase in pattern instructions...help please

i just recently started a pattern off the red heart site for this awesome hat. so far i’ve followed the pattern to a T, but now on the next step it calls for increases…i think.

[B]With circular needle, loosely cast on 54 sts. Join, being
careful that sts are not twisted, and begin working in the
round.
Round 1: Knit.
Round 2: Purl.
Rounds 3-10: Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 four more times.
Round 11: * K1, p1, (k1, p1) in next st; repeat from *
around – 72 sts.[/B]

so i should end up with 72 stitches at the end of the row 11??? how??? please help…and thanks!!!

A pattern link and name would be helpful if you have it.

Yup, it wants you to increase. I haven’t seen an increase like this before, but I tested it and it works and is easy. Knit the first stitch and purl the second. The third stitch you knit AND purl into the one stitch. So knit the stitch, but don’t slide it off like normal. Bring the working yarn forward between the needles and put your needle into the stitch and purl it then slide the stitches off the needle.

here’s the pattern link sorry…

Yes, you will end up with 72 stitches after that round.

Round 11: * K1, p1, (k1, p1) in next st; repeat from *

For this round you knit 1, p1, then (k1, p1) in the next st (This last thing is an increase. You knit into the next stitch but do not slip it off the left needle, bring the yarn to the front between the needle tips so you can purl, and purl the same stitch. Now you have 2 new stitch loops where there was only 1. Now slip the st you worked into off the left needle.) There is a video of how to do this in the increases if you need more help. I believe it is called a kfb (knit front back).
Then you go back to where the * is and repeat from there, keep repeating all that all the way around and you’ll end up with 72.

i just youtubed the knit front and back…and it helped so much along with the comments! gosh it is so easy and i let it scare me. thanks everyone!!!