Confused by Gauge

Hi.I’am confused by what a book i’am reading says about gauge. It says
’'In the middle measure across width of piece. It also says"divide the total number of sts by the width of the piece.What does all of this mean?.I don’t really get this gauge thing. :??

From what I’m getting about it, it’s to find out how many total stitches per inch you’re shooting for. So, for example, if you have 32 stitches made and the piece is 8" wide, then you’re looking at 4 stitches per inch. (32st divided by 8") if you’re shooting for a higher stitch gauge, i.e. 5 st per inch, then you’d need to use a smaller needle, or for a lower, a larger needle. Hope this helps.

Gauge is just a measurement of how many stitches per inch you need to knit in order for your piece to end up the size that the pattern says.

We all knit at slightly different tensions, so it’s necessary to make sure your gauge is on track for a pattern where size is an issue.

For example, if you knit 100 stitches at 5 stitches per inch, it will be 20 inches wide.

If you knit 100 stitches at 4.5 stitches per inch, it will be 22.22 inches wide; at 4 stitches per inch, 25 inches wide.

So even a half stitch difference in gauge can make a big difference.

Thanks for the help. :hug:

Try searching Google and this forum for some more in-depth thorough explanations of gauge.