confused by collar instructions

Below are the instructions - I don’t understand the last 2 lines, how I am increasing the collar from 9 stitches to 14? I am increasing 1 by kf&b but I am also decreasing 1 at neck edge? Seems like a wash to me in terms of # of stitches. I also don’t know where to do the increase for the collar? I gather it should be by kf&b…

To Shape Front Neck and Collar:
Next Row: (right side) K6, knit into front and back of next st (kf&b), ssk, k to end (8 st for collar)
Next Row: Cast off 2 sts for armhole, p to last 7 sts, k7.
Next Row: K7, kf&b, ssk, k to last 3 st, k2tog, k1 (9 st for collar).

Repeat these last 2 rows once more. Now continue to dec at armhole on every right side row as set, but dec one st at neck edge on every 4th row 3 times more AND AT THE SAME TIME inc one st for collar on every 4th row 4 times more to 14 st for collar.

Thanks!!

There are 3 different areas of shaping in this section, the collar, the neckline and the armhole. The collar increases by kf&b, the neck decreases with ssk and the armhole with k2tog.
The collar will increase to 10 sts when you repeat the last 2 rows once more and then it’ll increase 4 more sts when you inc on every 4th row, 4 times (14sts).
I usually write a column for the row number and then 3 more columns for the collar, neck and arm. Mark the rows with increases for the appropriate area and check them off as you do them.

Thanks so much - you are fast and so helpful as always!! :slight_smile:

Glad to be able to help.

Hi Salmonac,
Going back to this pattern…I missed the last line of instructions (highlighted below):

To Shape Front Neck and Collar:
Next Row: (right side) K6, knit into front and back of next st (kf&b), ssk, k to end (8 st for collar)
Next Row: Cast off 2 sts for armhole, p to last 7 sts, k7.
Next Row: K7, kf&b, ssk, k to last 3 st, k2tog, k1 (9 st for collar).
Next Row: Purl to last 9 st, K9.

Per the pattern I am then to repeat the last 2 rows once more. You said I should then have10 st for the collar. So should I be assuming that rather than repeating the rows exactly as written the last 2 lines will be:

1. K8, Kf&b, ssk, k to last 3 st, k2tog, K1
  2. Purl to last 10 st, K10 ?

Yes, each time you repeat the increase for the collar there’ll be one more collar stitch. You should be able to see a line where the increases are. Remember that the increases for the collar are every 4th row.
Writing this out with separate column for the increases and decreases may help to keep you on track, too.

Ok I think I’m on track now, and yes I used your tracking method thank you!