Confused about decreasing

At the same time, when sleeve measures 47-49-50-50-51 cm bind off for sleeve cap at each side every other row: 4 sts 1 time, 3 sts 1-2-2-2-2 times, 2 sts 2-2-3-3-3 times and 1 st 2-1-1-1-3 times, (then 2 sts at each side until the piece measures 53-54-56-57-59 cm, and then bind off 3 sts at each side 1 time, and then 4 sts at each side 1 time.) Bind off the remaining sts, the piece measures 55-56-58-59-61 cm.

I understand the above until I get to the part where I have the brackets. Before it said bind off each side every other row now it says at each side. Does that mean I am still binding off on every other row or am I to decrease twice at each end?

Also, I am making the third largest size(50cm bind off). That was too long so I made it 47cm then started to shape sleeve cap. So that means I have to take 3cm off the other measurements. So where I have the brackets 2sts at each side until piece measures 53cm, I am already at 52.5cm. That means I only have two rows until I get to 53cm. Does that sound right? :??

On the part you asked about …

I understand the above until I get to the part where I have the brackets. Before it said bind off each side every other row now it says at each side. Does that mean I am still binding off on every other row or am I to decrease twice at each end?

…you’d be decreasing every row, not every other row. A BO is only at the beginning of the row, can’t do it at the end of a row.

As for the length of the cap not working out, since you’re making it 47cm instead of 50, how about following the instructions for the small size. That way your shaping should work out okay with your measurement.

sue

Do you mean I would decrease twice on each side?
row 1 , K2tog, K2tog, knit to last four stitches K2tog, K2tog?
then it says BO 3sts at each side 1 time and then 4sts at each side 1 time.
row 2 , BO 3sts at beg knit to end
row 3 BO 3sts at beg knit to end
row 4 BO 4sts at beg knit to end
row 5 BO 4sts at beg knit to end
Is that what you mean? :??

I thought about what you said so you are telling me to dec 2sts at each end that must mean I am to dec 3sts at each end right? Whou should I do that? :??

You keep thinking decrease but the pattern is tell you to Bind Off. Yes they both decrease the number of stitches, but they’re different. No you don’t do 2 decreases at each end, you do BOs. And BOs are done at the beginning of the row.

This part -

bind off for sleeve cap at each side every other row: 4 sts 1 time, 3 sts 1-2-2-2-2 times, 2 sts 2-2-3-3-3 times and 1 st 2-1-1-1-3 times, (then 2 sts at each side until the piece measures 53-54-56-57-59 cm, and then bind off 3 sts at each side 1 time, and then 4 sts at each side 1 time.) Bind off the remaining sts, the piece measures 55-56-58-59-61 cm.

Goes like this, -
BO 4sts at the beg of the next 2 rows.
BO 3 sts at the beg of the next 2 rows.
BO 2 sts at the beg of the next 4 rows.

Then BO 1 at the beg of the next 2 rows. Then BO 2 at the beg of the next however many rows takes you to get to 53cm, then BO 3 sts at the beginning the next 2 rows, then 4 sts at the beginning of the next 2 rows, then BO the rest of the sts.

sue

Thanks, I got it now. :muah:

Oh goody!! :cheering:

sue