Confused about basketweave stitch

I am a new knitter and I am knitting a baby blanket using basketweave stitch. I have cast on 150 stitches and did 10 rows of garter stitch. Then I am following the pattern of K5, P10, K10, K5. Simple enough right? Well I did the first row but the second row is confusing me. The pattern I am following says to repeat for 10 rows. But I have another pattern that says to alternate the pattern every row. Which do I do on row 2 and so on?

Hiya Schwip,
Well, when it comes to basketweave all it really is is a glorified ribbing pattern that alternates every few rows to make the basketweave effect.
So for the first part you would knit the knits and purl the purls for the ten rows and then for the next row (when you switch to make the basketweave pattern) you will purl the knits and knit the purls for that one row and then it’s back to knitting the knits and purling the purls. All this AS the work is facing you. Don’t worry about what you did the row below just concentrate on the row at hand. :thumbsup:

So in other words, repeat the pattern for 10 rows and then switch, right?

Boy, this seems so elementary but how come some pattern say to alternate rows but the end result looks the same?

Knit the knits and purl the purls for ten rows, then switch. The reason some say to alternate is that on the right side, you would K5, P5 but when you turn, the pattern on the other side would be to P5, K5. This is because the back of a knit stitch is a purl, and vice versa.

Yep, you just switch when you get to the point where they want you to change.
As for the different directions? I think it’s because of the final or total count of weaves, some will have odd and some even, the odd ones yeah you have to alternate but when the basketweaves are even (ex.: (k10,p10)to the end) and you have sets of two for every repeat then yeah you will do the same exact thing on the next row. When the weaves are odd; ex.: (k10, p10) repeat to last 10 sts, k10. Then yeah you have to alternate, so the second row would be (p10, k10) work to last 10 sts, p10.
See how that works? If the weaves are an even amount (divisible by 2) you repeat the same row over and over til you switch. But if it’s an odd amount (not divisible by 2) then you have to alternate.

But either way, when you just have to remember to k the knits and p the purls and then switch, you don’t have to worry about remembering if it’s odd or even.:thumbsup:

This is the second time I have used this forum and everyone is so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to help me!!

This knitting thing is sooooo fun!