Complicated Increase Q

The book: Debbie bliss cotton knits for all seasons.
The sweater: Cotton silk Aran, pg 105.

The Q: I’m making the sleeves first as it seems a lot less daunting and cannot make sense of this instruction of the increase:

“Keeping continuity of patt., inc one st @ each end of the next and every foll 5th row until there are 93 sts, [B][U][I]working extra sts into patt as follows: first st into “p1” rib and rem 19 sts into double seed st.”[/I][/U][/B] Cont straight until sleeve measures 19" from cast on edge…

I understand the first part of the instruction but not the bolded part.

TIA. :slight_smile:

I think it’s inc in the p1 st and then keep in the double seed st. You’re adding extra sts to both ends of the row, so the next row, you don’t start at the 1st stitch of the double seed pattern, but stitch that would come before it; at the end of the row, the end st would be the 1st st of the pattern. You’re adding to the existing st pattern at the ends kind of like this -
±-vv–vv–vv+
and at the next inc row it would look like
+±-vv–vv–vv++

So the + sts would be whatever that stitch should be if the actual start of the row was further out. Not a good explanation, but not sure what the double seed st patt is.

Oops, now I’m more confused. I checked the book and it doesn’t specify the dbl seed st pattern. I guess I’ll have to take it to a yarn store and see if they can help me. Thanks for trying though. :hug:

It could be that it’s only given within the rows you do it on and not set apart as a stitch pattern.

Yeah, I think you’re right. Thanks anyway for the help. :slight_smile: