Colour knitting: mosaic or stranding method or

hi everyone,

i am knitting the twinkle’s big city knits skirt which consists of 5 colours gradually changing from one to the other. In the book it is said that the stranding method should be used - i checked the video and understand how it is done. However, with this technique i can only knit 5 stitches of the same colour before i have to change.
In the pattern the colour change happens very gradually, i.e. for the first row, on 156 stiches there are 148 stiches of colour A and 8 stitches of colour B, which would mean an alternation every 20 stitches.
How do i do this?? I cannot use the stranding method because of the problem of 5 stitches max. I feel a bit clueless.
Tahnk you very much in advance for your feedback! and have a nice day :-))

vlinderkus

You’re right: the floats would be enormous.
You can use the stranding technique and weave the unused color into your knitting every 4 stitches or so to keep the floats controlled;
or you can use intarsia for the second color.

Sally Melville’s book, [I]The Knitting Experience: Color, [/I]has very good directions for weaving the loose strands. It also describes a “whatever works” sort of hybrid between stranding and intarsia that might work for you.

hi knitasha,

thank you very much for this tip, i will surely check it out!

vlinderkus :slight_smile:

Hand up with a question… :slight_smile: what is the ‘intarsia’ method? I always assumed it was a yarn or pattern… :slight_smile:

if i’m not mistaken it’s a way of knitting with two or more colours. If for example you have 3 large vertical stripes red blue green, you would have 3 balls of yarn at the same time. you start knitting with the red yarn, at the border red/blue yarn you would continue with the blue yarn and the same thing for the border blue/green. The second row you would do the opposite (green-blue-red).
this intarsia method is different from the stranding method because the colours do not follow you while you’re knitting, instead you are ‘leaving them behind’ until you get back to the colour and pick it back up.
I’m very sorry if it’s clumsily explained :slight_smile: maybe someone else could explain it better… but hopefully it gives you an idea

vlinderkus

No I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I’ve never seen it done as such and only wonder about ‘loops’ if say you go ‘back’ to a colour half way along a row. I might look up some demonstration articles.