Color changing on DPN isn't even

I’m making striped socks on Double Pointed Needles.

Question 1:When I change colors, I put the new yarn under the old. Now I’m not sure if I should carry the old yarn if I use the same color for a few rows or pick up the new yarn and continue using.

Question 2: Where I color change…the rows aren’t lining up. How do I prevent this?

Thank you.
Stressful Knitter ;(

Knitting in the round (any method) is knitting in a spiral. So they aren’t really going to match up unless you use a method that helps. It’s called a “jogless jog”. Here’s a couple links that should help.

http://tiajudy.com/jog.htm

“Question 1:When I change colors, I put the new yarn under the old. Now I’m not sure if I should carry the old yarn if I use the same color for a few rows or pick up the new yarn and continue using.”

If your stripes are only a few rows deep, it’s easier to leave the old yarn, work with the new color, and then pick up the old yarn when it’s needed again. You can catch the old yarn on a round so that you avoid a long float (similar to the way you catch the unused yarn in fair isle knitting). If the stripe of new color is very long however, you may want to cut the old color leaving a tail to weave in later and re-attach it when needed again.

Thank you both. I wasn’t even aware of that method of doing stripes.