CO Knit

There are so many type of CO., and which one is the best to use for all?

I think the best general CO is long tail followed by the knitted CO.

I have to agree with Jan_in_CA

No one cast on is best for everything. For starting projects I typically use one of the long tail cast ons, my current WIP got an Estonian cast on. For lace a version of the knitted cast on works well. If you’re really curious about cast ons oftroy’s Golden Apples blog is a real time suck but for me very enjoyable.

Long tail followed by knitted ?
Um … I believe I must be really dense.
Two cast ons ?

No, those are two different cast on methods. You asked the best to use so I said those two are the best choices for general cast on methods IMO.

Other cast on methods may work better for some projects though.
Socks- You can use long tail or knitted cast on, but many people prefer twisted German cast on for it’s stretchiness.
Hemmed hat - Long tail or knitted cast on work, but I prefer invisible cast on.

1 Like

Am I a twit, or am I a TWIT ?!!!

No. You’re not. I can see how that could be misconstrued. I won’t ask you to guess how many times I’ve done the same sort of thing. You could easily fall asleep before you got even sorta started. lol

1 Like

Wot a civil, albeit grumpy, person you is, GG ! :slight_smile:

Hush! You’ll ruin my reputation! :blush: I misunderstand what I read or hear way too often.

1 Like

Ha! No, of course you’re not! I should have been more clear from the beginning. :slight_smile:

Lovely manners 'round these parts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not to rain on your parade but I did enjoy, I mean really, really enjoy, disagreeing with you.

The reason for the many cast-ons is their purposes are for specific purposes. For example: with socks if you work top down, your cast on has to be stretchy. The same amount of stretch for the cuff of a sweater might make the edge wavy.

There are cast-ons for doing double knitting because you are working with more than one color.

There are provisional cast-ons which means you use cotton waste yarn which is removeable to leave live stitches in order to either knit the other direction or to do the Kitchner Stitch.

Some cast ons are for special purposes like binding off for a button hole and then casting back on so the long tail method won’t work there and if your cast on is too tight, good luck buttoning your sweater.

Then there are cast ons for working center out or the toe of a sock or Magic Loop. You can even cast on in knit and purl for ribbing and there is a special cast on for doing brioche. Some shawls need a tab cast on but they are beautiful when finished and because we like it pretty, we want it to be right, just learn what you need at the time and don’t fret about it.

For most things I use long tail, then I use the crocheted cast on as it leave the same look as my bind off and when I make slipped stitch edges on a pot holder or dishcloth or a square for an afghan. I also am fond of the cable cast on, useful in hats and for adding stitches in the middle of aran celtic knitting.

You learn a new cast on as needed. And if I haven’t done something in a while, I look it up.

But long tail, I could do in my sleep.