Circulata Needles

I’m fairly new to knitting (less than one year) and am going to try circular needles. When I use these, will I be knitting vertically instead of horizontally like I do when I use straight needles?
Will I cast on the same number of stitches as I would with straight needles?

Thanks,
Penny

When you use circular needles, you’re pretty much knitting the same as on straights. In fact, many of us use them as straights rather than ever using regular needles. If you use them as straights–everything is the same.

When you use them to knit in the round, you’re making a tube, with all the right-side stitches on the outside and wrong side on the inside. The length of the cable determines how many stitches you can fit. You can’t, for example, make a hat on 32-inch needles unless you have a 32-inch head. :shrug:

What is it you’re planning on making?

However, you can make a hat with 32" circulars if you use the Magic Loop!

sue

It’s just a shawl, but I have to cast on 60 stitches and I’m not sure I can put 60 stitches on my 14" needles.

Penny

In that case, just cast on the 60, knit across and switch the points from one hand to the other as you would straights and work back. You’ll find that the circs carry the weight of the shawl nicely, too, so it’s not all hanging on one side when it gets heavy.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!

Penny

You should be able to easily fit them on a 24-30" circular.

sue