Circular needles

Hi,
I was just wondering if any of you have preferences for brands of interchangeable circular needles? I have tried the Knit-picks and like them because they have a very flexible cord, but they come unscrewed easily. I would like to buy a nice set and just be done with it. Buying them one by one is getting expensive and I feel like I should just bite the bullet and do it, but want something that will have a flexible cord and will last.
Thanks

My knitpicks have never, ever come undone. Make sure you use a something that grips the needle when you tighten them. Like non skid shelf liner.

I own hiya hiya needles and denise needles and by far the knitpicks are the best.

The needles WEBS/yarn.com sells are similar to knit picks. As Jan says, if you use a rubber band or something to grip the base of the needle as you poke the key in the hole, that should keep them from coming apart.

I use a piece of grippy shelf liner. I cut a bunch of them so I have them handy for me and to pass out at my knitting group. I’ve never had one come unscrewed. Make sure you only hold the metal when tightening…never the cord!

This kind of stuff -
http://www.organize.com/gripliner.html

This is one of those questions in which every answer is correct and most will not agree. The correct answer is which set feels and works best for you.

I like HiyaHiya, they have a smooth finish and a flexible cord. I also like that they have 5 inch and 4 inch needle heads. I knit a lot of socks and like the 4 inch heads. They have also recently added sharp needle heads to their line of needles. I have not used the sharps but have heard nice reviews.

Is there a Stitch and Bitch or knitting group in your area or at your LYS? Members of these groups may let you try a needle for the evening. It is always nice to try before you buy.

Wrong… I agree with you.

Everyone has a different preference and each of us need to try out different types to see what we like personally.

I have a couple friends with Hiya Hiya and they love them. I think since you already have the KP needles that getting a grippy thing to tighten them with is a good idea first. If you still aren’t happy then it’s time to move on. :thumbsup:

I’ve never had an issue with my Addi interchangeables. I have mostly Addi fixed circs, too. I did have a set of the KnitPicks, and they are great to knit with, but cords broke just often enough to make me paranoid and I gave them to my daughter in law.

So, suzeeq you agree HiyaHiya makes the best interchangeable needles?

Can’t magic link a name here…

I haven’t tried hiya hiya needles. I was agreeing with what you said most people would disagree with - The correct answer is which set feels and works best for you.

That is absolutely the correct answer.

Your question is: what is “your preference”…not “what’s the best buy”, not “which set works best”.

My “interchangeable” preference is Addi Clicks. I knit with them most of the time.

Recently purchased the new set of Addi Clicks Lace (with new long stalks), and use them for intricate stitches that need pointy tips.

I own these interchangeable sets:

1. Denise
  2. Boye Needlemaster
  3. Knit Picks Options, nickel set and Harmony set
  4. Addi Clicks, regular set and lace set

So those are the interchangeable sets I’ve worked with extensively.

My choices:

1. HiyaHiya
  2. Boye Needlemaster (only with replacement cables)
  3. KA

I’ve had KP options forever and like them but just bought a set of Addi Clicks and love them. The KP options cables and broken on me before and tho they send a replacement right away, it doesn’t help if it ruins the current project.

Addis have a cool locking mechanism that doesn’t require keys and the cables have zero memory!

Thanks for the info. Can you figure out what it is about the Addi Clicks that makes you prefer them?

I’ve considered the Denise set isimply because I prefer the case. Is the quality of the needles good on that brand?

Did you experience cable breakage with the needlemasters?

I love love love the high quality, smooth, buttah soft, silky nickel plated finish on the Addi Clicks, both regular tips and lace (pointy) tips. The finish on Addi Clicks is even better than my old (set-circs) Addi Turbos, and heaven knows you can hardly get a never nickel finish…but Addi has managed to up their game.

That said, perhaps newly purchased Addi Turbo set-circs have the same wonderful finish as the Addi Clicks. I dunno. I’m not purchasing any additional set-circs Addi Turbos.

The new Addi Clicks Lace Longs are very accurate, the tips are perfectly pointed but don’t tend to split yarn easily.

BTW, I like the Addi Clicks cases much much better than the old clunky Denise case. Has Denise upgraded their case?

I don’t even touch my Denise’s anymore. I should really sell them. I despise the cords. The way the tips connect to the cord is really nice and easy. The stalks are nice to knit with. It’s just those gawd awful cords… :pout:

I’ve considered the Denise set isimply because I prefer the case. Is the quality of the needles good on that brand?

Some people love Denise needles. I have a set that I’ve been considering trading or selling.

What I like about them: They are fairly inexpensive and you get a nice case for them. They have good customer service and send replacement parts when you need them.

What I don’t like: The cables are too fat and I’ve had them break on me. The connections come apart for me at awkward times. The needle tips seem too blunt and for me are awkward and difficult to use.

At first I thought they were great but then I realized I’d learned to knit and felt like I needed real needles.

I think the people who love these needles probably are very loose knitters…and, yes, I mean that in the best possible way. I think I must knit fairly tightly.

Right now I’m trying to decide between wood (not bamboo) and nickel plated needles. I got the sampler sets from Knit Picks and Webs (everything so far is totally interchangable) and just can’t decide which I like better.

Agreed. I don’t like the cable either. I also didn’t like the case because you couldn’t add to it. Only one set fits. I don’t know anyone with only one set of any type. :teehee:

I also didn’t like Boye Needlemasters. The cable is too stiff.

I love Addis, but they are too expensive for my budget especially since I use multiple sets.

My needle of choice is Knitpicks nickel plated. I’ve only had one cable break in the years I’ve used them. Their customer service is wonderful and there are no questions asked.

Btw… I use an awesome needle case I got on Etsy!!

BTW, I like the Addi Clicks cases much much better than the old clunky Denise case. Has Denise upgraded their case?

The Denise case is a book like affair with spots for everything that comes in the set. Is that the kind you’re talking about, ArtLady?

Agreed. I don’t like the cable either. I also didn’t like the case because you couldn’t add to it. Only one set fits. I don’t know anyone with only one set of any type.

Yeah, where do I put the 2 - 52" cables they sent to replace the one that broke that they sent me because the connector thingies kept coming apart? LOL They do have good customer service for replacing pieces.

I don’t use the original NeedleMaster cables because they are too stiff. Based on all the complaints on the stiff cables I don’t understand why they have not changed the formulation.

I make my own cables for my NeedleMaster. There is a group on Ravelry about the replacing the NeedleMaster cables. I have recently changed the way I make the replacement cables and need to update the Ravelry Forum.