Circular needles questions

Hi.:grinning:I was wondering if a person could use clover or Boye circular needles for using the magic loop for socks or hats?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Also,can a person use the magic loop on short circular needles?:thinking:
What do you guys think?

You have to have a long enough cable to loop so the short cables won’t work. There ARE some people who do what is called “single loop” or “traveling loop” for shorter cables, but I personally find it stretches the stitches too much for my taste. I think a minimum cable even for that is probably 24".

Can you use Boye or Clover needles? I’m assuming you mean needles you can purchase in craft stores? No reason you can’t use them, but they tend to have cables that are stiff and annoying for magic loop. If you can ignore that go for it.

Hi.:grinning:Thanks for replying Jan in ca.Also,can a person use smaller sts then the circular needles either long or 9 ich ones can take like maybe 10 sts?:thinking:what do you guys think?

I’m not sure what you’re asking. Smaller stitches? If you mean less stitches that will fit around the needle you need to use magic loop, DPN or two circulars. If you’re only casting on 9 or 10 stitches I’d use DPN.

The shorter the cable the more it stretches out the stitches when you divide them for magic loop. That’s the main reason I use long cables.

1 Like

Hi Jan in ca.:grinning: Sorry I meant to say can a person use 25 or 35 sts on a long circular needle for a small hat for a new born.I hope that i didn’t confuse you to much.:cry:

Yes, as long as you are using magic loop. 99% of the time I use magic loop for all small things knit in the round. The only time I don’t is if it’s very small like a small toy in which case I use DPN.

For the record… I prefer to use 40" circulars for knitting hats. I like having two loops on my magic loop and it prevents the stitches stretching. Yes, it does require more sliding of stitches, but that’s a compromise I’m willing to make. Not everyone likes them that long though.