circular fair isle and faux seams...

hey all!

thinking of working on some fair isle hats, because i have a lot - A. LOT. - of single-color and variegated sport, DK and light-worsted skeins that are some combo of wool, cashmere, cotton, soy, silk (those great priced chinese yarns on ebay can really be attractive!)

the pattern i’m looking to start with is “geometric dazzle floppy hat” by kathleeen taylor (https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/geometric-dazzle-floppy-hat although i have it in another book, ‘fair isle hats, scarves, mittens & gloves’ from threads selects via a cheap knitpicks.com sale last year - http://www.knitpicks.com/cfSearch/Search.cfm?q=kathleen+taylor - although you can see the book cover, it’s no longer available there. same with the sock book to the left, Threads Selects Colorwork Socks, which i also have. if the hat(s) go well, the socks are likely to happen this coming year too.)

ANYWAY… (sorry! :blush: ) i can figure out the swatching, the charts, the 3-needle bind off (or for me, more likely russian grafting)… but i’m curious about trying a faux seam on each side (a la https://youtu.be/1RfBriyhIGU ). fair isle in the round leaves a weird jog on one side of the hat, and i don’t like it… so, is it possible to do a faux seam with fair isle, and if so, are there any techniques, skills, items of interest i need to be aware of?

cheers, 'topher :wink:

Hi XtopherCB, I’m not sure about faux seams but there are many utube videos on jogless jogs for circular knitting like this one

Going to watch your faux seam link now, learning something all the time :smiley:
1 Like

Thanks, X. I’d never seen this technique for faux seams. Very nice.

I’m knitting (and I use this term loosely since the mittens are in a holding pattern) Scandinavian mittens that use a purl stitch at the faux seam to somewhat hide the jog between rounds. It’s pretty good or maybe I just need more practice at it.

1 Like

I’ve done faux seam before, but not with color work. Hmmm… I’m wondering if you could do it right over the jog… I don’t know. You might have to experiment.

1 Like

All I can offer is a vote of confidence: If it’s possible you’ll figure it out.

hi notknittingknots!

thanks for that link, definitely a well-presented tutorial. i did know about ‘jogless jogs’ even tho i don’t use them often. the problem tho, with this project, is that ‘jogless jogs’ require you to have 2 rows/rounds of the same color, so you can hide the change and not break the continuity. my pattern here has 35 single rounds out of 60 total rounds. if it were fewer than that, i might think about doing a 2nd round each time, but if i did that this time, it’d balloon from 60 to 95 rounds… so, on to plan B. :wink:

hi M.A.! :slight_smile:
that’s an interesting thought, an added stitch (probably at the end of each needle, since i’m magic-looping, and it’s easier to end with a purl, and start the new needle with a knit)… then it should hide the jog better… and if i still wasn’t convinced at the end, i could do the faux seam on those 2 columns of stitches… hmm…
thanks for the info! :wink:

hey jan!
that’s an idea too… similar to MA’s, where you’re using the ‘jog’ column - and its opposite on the other side of the garment - as the faux seam columns… but this doesn’t require any extra stitches… interesting. have to mull all this over.
thanks! :wink: