Circular decrease

Hi well here is the problem, l am making the santa hat knitting in the round but l am having trouble decreasing for the peak on the circular what do l do for this…just getting to the end and lost so many stitches took out and started again…so what do l do?..l thought do something different from a poncho to a hat for a variety but still struggling…could someone help please the hat looked so good until the decrease started and had such a hard time getting itoff the needles…

When you get to the point where the stitches don’t fit around the circular needle, you need to switch to double pointed needles.

Or for small diameter circular knitting you could do magic loop knitting or knitting on two circs. Videos for both methods can be found here.

Thank you so much…l went right past that…l am working right now with two end needles…now what do you find least difficult with knitting in the round… two double ended needles or the majic?..Please the least confusing for me…first time knitting in the round… :shrug:

It’s all about personal preference. I prefer magic loop and avoid dpns at all costs. Some people prefer dpns. You just have to try out both and see what feels better for you. For magic loop you need a really long circular though, at least 40" in my opinion works best.

Yes l was thinking this could get me very confused with 4 ends…l thought l would try the magic…this hat is so Christmasy…and when l dropped stitches and couldn’t pick them up…well :grrr: …but back to where l left off pretty much and will let you know how it gos…thanks so much…
Ingrid helped me with my poncho pattern and really coming alone nicely but its also nice to break things up…

Thank you so much for pointing out the video…

I’m a beginner, but I actually did better with DPNs, though I didn’t think I would. I can understand the process of using them easier than I could the magic loop method, go figure (my brain is different) :?? . . . DPNs aren’t bad once you get past the intimidation factor. You just keep knitting stitches from the full DPNs to the free DPN, then you decrease at whatever rate you need to for your pattern. Good luck–let us know how you do.

I also prefer double points. I just can’t seem to get the hang of magic loop. :?? So try it, I agree that the hardest part for me was how hard it looked, once I tryed it I wished I had sooner!