Christmas stocking help

I have been knitting for 35 years. I have made Christmas stockings in the past and never had any problems like I am having with this Mary Maxim pattern. This is the first time that the stocking is made totally on the two needles to the end. I can’t figure out the ending.

It says to put first 3 stitches on holder, then next 7 on a needle and last 4 on holder. That is pretty simple and I understand it but the next part I don’t get.

Now beg with 3rd st on first st holder, slip 3 sts onto 2nd needle k 4 sts from 2nd holder.

I don’t know if this is too simple or what, but I don’t get it. If I knit the sts like it says it will be going the wrong way. Can someone help me with this???

The way I’m picturing it is that you’ll end up with the two needles parallel to each other, each pointing in opposite directions. If your stitches were originally

14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and you slip them the way it says to you’ll have the stitches like this.

11, 12, 13, 14, 1, 2, 3 on one needle and
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 on the other needle.

If that makes any sense at all :teehee: rather than knit the stitches from the second holder, work them however will work out–purl them to keep them even.

What comes next?