Choosing a different Yarn for Pattern?

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]I have a pattern for a throw that I would like to make. It calls for Peaches & Cream 100 percent cotton yarn (2 1/2 ozper ball) 17 balls.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]I do have other yarn like, 3 ply, 4 ply, or even baby yarn. What I am concerned about it how would I know how much of this yarn to use in order to make this throw. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]I understand making sure I use a guage, but how do I know how much of this yarn would I need?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]Hope someone understands what I mean. I would sure appreciate someone explaining how to know the measureaments of changing yarns for different patterns.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]thanks so much. Hope someone can help me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

:oo:

You figure out how many yards are in all of the balls of yarn called for. That would be the number of yards in one ball x the number of balls of the original yarn.

Then you figure out how many yards are in one ball of the substituted yarn, and then figure out from there, and buy a few extra, just in case.

Peaches and cream is a worsted weight, so if your other yarn is too, it would take approximately the same amount. If it’s a lot thinner, like a baby or sport weight, you may need to double the amount, or use it double stranded which would also take twice as much. And don’t go by the weight of the ball, but by the yardage. A ball of PnC has about 122 yards - times 17 balls, that’s just over 2000 yards. Whoa! is it knit on size 5 needles or really huge? That’s a lot of yarn…

thanks,
and how many ozs. is in a yard?

and how many ozs. is in a yard?

It depends on the yarn… See my calculations in the other post.

size 11 and 13 cicular needles and two strands held together.

so if i have the same amount of yards i should do okay?

If it’s the thickness as the PnC, as in another worsted weight, yes. If you used only two strands of a thin yarn, it would be too loose so you’d need to use 3 or 4 strands together. Which actual yarns are you thinking of using? What name do they have?

I just checked, and there is no wrapper on the yard. it looks like 3 ply yarn, i have three 8 oz. sheins. don’t look like enough.
i have alot of scrapes and just thought i could make this throw. i think i would be better off just sticking to buying the right yarn.

i do have another questions…
once i found the guage using the right needles, how will that tell me that i still lose the same amount of yards that the pattern is calling for. Wouldn’t changing the size of needles make a big difference?

thanks so much.

If you get gauge with different sized needles, the stitches are still the same size as the ones in the pattern–that would use the same amount of yarn.