Cheesiesmom--German Cast on

You recommended that I try the German cast on for socks and asked me to post how it worked out. It is terrific! It’s stretchy without being loose, looks wonderful, and has a solid feel. I will definitely continue to use it for socks, hats, and ribbed edges. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

What is the german cast on?

Jan–
It’s demonstrated at http://knitting.about.com/library/bltgcaston.htm It looks complicated, but it’s really similar to the long-tail cast on. I looked at the pictures and groaned, but when I picked up my needles and practice yarn, the cast on is really simple to pick up!
I’ve worn, washed, and worn again the first pair I made with it and am very pleased. Next pair on the needles!
–Denise

Denise,

I don’t get into the question forum very often so I was surprised to see your note. I’ve never tried the German cast on but from your message and Jan’s I’ll definitely have to give it a try. Thanks for the feedback ladies. :smiley:

I need to learn this for a sweater I am making, but I can’t figure it out for the life of me. A video would sure help…

I have had the yarn and pattern in my house for 3 months now and every time I try the cast on, I get frustrated and give up… :frowning: Wanna come over and show me how its done?? :wink:

Thanks, I’ll have to give it a try. :smiley: