Changing yarn weights

My pattern uses super bulky yarn and I want to use worsted. Does anyone know how to do this? I can find info about going up in yarn size but not going down. Is it a matter of swatching? Does anyone have experience with this?

What pattern are you looking at? For a blanket or scarf, it fairly straightforward. For patterns with more shaping, this is more difficult.
Can you give us a pattern name or a link?

Yes it’s the Mont Blanc Cardigan on Etsy. Unstructured, loose. I love the sweater but don’t want it to be bulky.

Maybe this one? You’ll have to experiment with gauge and stitch number. Calculating the difference between your gauge with your yarn and needles and the pattern gauge will get you started. You may still need some trial and error to get a size and fabric that you like.
The alternative is to find a similar pattern in the worsted weight yarn.

Yes that’s it. I’ve looked everywhere for a similar pattern, no luck. But if it’s a matter of swatching I think I can do that. I’ll just keep trying different needles and measuring my swatches and counting stitches, keeping notes along the way. Patience and experimenting. If I end up with the sweater I want I’m going to be very proud of myself. Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction.

Don’t worry about doing lots and lots of swatches but rather try knitting the worsted weight yarn with the recommendated size needle which is likely to be about a 5mm or size 8 US needles. If you like that swatch fabric, see what your gauge is. Now a little math is in order. You are getting a ratio. The ratio of your worsted weight gauge to that of the bulky gauge then use the number of stitches that you need to have in the worsted weight yarn as your unknown over the known stitches of the bulky yarn. If you have math challenges, PM me and I will be glad to help you. I never knit a sweater to someone else’s gauge but use math to knit the pattern to my own gauge. However, that being said, you do need to realize that the feel and drape of a bulky weight yarn is different from the worsted weight and will effect the drape of the final garment.

I had to laugh, your suggestion reminds me of the math word problems I used to hate in school. But I’ll try your suggestion and let you know if I need help. Thanks very much!

I’ll be here if you need help. Amy Herzog has some wonderful books on sweater knitting and at least one of them has each sweater pattern given in different gauge yarns should you ever want to do more sweaters. Also she has most of her patterns in a custom option so that it can be made to your gauge on your choice of size yarn to your own measurements. Check her out on Ravelry. Dottie