Changing Yarn & Softening Projects

[FONT=“Lucida Sans Unicode”]Hello :slight_smile: I have 2 questions.

1. When changing yarn because you need a different color, for instance making stripes. I find it a hassle to cut the yarn every time I change colors, especially if the stripes are close together. In one pattern I was looking at, it says “Do not cut the yarn between color changes, just carry it loosely up one side of the scarf.” How might I go about doing this? Or is there a different way to not cut yarn between color changes?

2. The yarn that I’m using on my current project is a bit rough, so I want to soften up the final product a bit. Would washing it help, or do I need to use fabric softener or something like that?

Thank you so much! :)[/FONT]

Yes, if it’s only 2 or 4 rows with one color, you don’t need to cut the yarn. You would loosely twist the 2 colors around each other up the same edge. I think there’s a video for working with 2 colors this way on the Tips or Advanced techniques page.

Washing after you’re finished is how many people get the item to soften up. What yarn is it?

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Okay, thank you! I’ll look up that video. :slight_smile:

The yarn that I’m using is the Red Heart Super Saver yarn, and the color is Hunter Green. It says 100% Acrylic. It’s just kind of itchy. So if I just wash it, it’ll get softer? Oh and should I weave in the ends and fringe it before I wash it, or do that afterwards?[/FONT]

Yep, RH SS has a finish on it that makes it stiff, and that will come off when you wash and dry it. Not sure which is best with the fringe; if it’s not washed, it won’t be as soft as the scarf.

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Okay, awesome. Is there a special setting I need to put it on for drying, or add softner or anything? I think without the fringe it would be okay because my fringe is a different color and brand, so it’s already softer than the scarf. Thank you again, so much! :)[/FONT]

Some people use medium heat, I just put it in and make sure the item doesn’t get overdried; it’s okay to take it out if it’s a tiny bit damp.

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Okay, thank you very much! :slight_smile: [/FONT]

I’ve been crocheting (mostly) for many, many years. I find that I can wash my afghans that are made with RH SS with my towels, and throw them in the dryer with them too. They look a little misshapen when they come out of the washer, but after drying, they’re back to normal.

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Hmm it softened up a little bit, not as much as I would have liked it to…oh well. I guess it’s not a big deal. Thanks for the advice! :][/FONT]