Changing to Toe-Up?

I’m not sure if this has already been addressed here, but I was wondering if top down socks can be turned around, and knit from the toe up. If so, how? I bought the sensational sock books, which are supposed to tell exactly how to knit any socks, any way, but the books are so full of charts and mathmatics, that I find myself too confused to try. I usually go to the internet for a written out pattern, but since I have the books, it would be a shame not to use the patterns.

You can probably do it with most simpler sock patterns…I’m not a sock expert, so you might want to wait for an answer from someone with more experience.

There is a really great article in the Summer 07 Interweave knits about how to knit a sock from the toe up…take a look.

Have you knitted toe up before? If not, it might be a good idea to do a pair first just so you can see how the mechanics of it work. Once you do that you won’t have a problem converting patterns from top down.

I’ve knitted two pairs of Toe ups, so far. One using Silver’s tutorial, and one using a pattern I found on Knitty.com. As long as it’s written out in a pattern, I don’t seem to have any trouble, but I haven’t been able to find as many toe up patterns online, and there doesn’t seem to be any in my sock books.

I don’t really mind doing them top down, I just wanted to know how to do this. I guess I just need to take the plunge and try it. What’s the worse that can happen? I can frog it, and move on. :lol: