Changing pattern

Hi there.

My mom needs me to knit her a chemo hat. I found a pattern she likes but she doesn’t like the edges of the hat, instead of having the rib stitch, she wants it to roll up. I was wondering if I just start knitting the pattern skipping the rib stitch in the beginning, will it roll up like she wants it to?

4131153109 5607217cafbbbece51ba7973_Unknown-1

Adding pictures, the first one (pink) is the one I’ll stitch, the second (brown) is the way she wants it to roll up.

Thanks for the answers

One more question. The pattern calls for circular needles, I don’t have any and there are no shops around… Really… I need to start asap so no time to order

I read that I can knit on straight needles by adding 2 stitches and doing the matters stitch for sewing it together.

My question is, if the pattern calls for k2, yo, k4, k2tog the next row will be p2, yo, p4, p4tog?

It would be better to knit in stockinette for the first several rows to get the rolled brim and then start the pattern stitch.
What is the name of the pattern? Is it on the Knots of Love site?
Yes, you can probably knit this flat with 2 edge sts in stockinette for the seam. What does the pattern give as row 2 knit in the round?

Thank you so much for your reply. Here is the pattern link:

Here are the instructions:

K2, YO, K4, K2tog Repeat each round until work measures 4.5“ (5”, 5.5”, 6”, 6.5, 7”) from
cast-on edge.

OK, thanks for the link
The even rows would be [p2tog, p4, yo, p2] repeat. Give it a try and see if that works.
Please use the pencil icon to edit out the crown shaping due to copyrights. The link to the pattern is fine.

Oops… sorry.

So basically I do the same pattern but in pearl the other way around from end to start? And how about the crown? Each row is different. Do I also simply do as the patterns says for that row but from end to start in purl instead of knit?

Should be the same idea, switch knits for purls and work from the end of the repeat to the start. You’ll be able to see the pattern as this point.

Thank you so much for your help!

Looks like a pattern I might try. Thanks.

One thought about knitting flat and seaming; many people are very sensitive due to the chemo, and that seam might be uncomfortable on her head, but do understand your time restrictions. However, you may want to go ahead and order a set of circular and a set of double-pointed needles so you will have them to make a second hat; I suspect having more than one will be most welcome.