Changing needles?

Hi! I’m about to start knitting sleeves for a sweater I’ve been working on, and have a question about the instructions. The main pattern says to use a size 8 needle (or whatever to get gauge), but for the sleeves, it says “Put sleeve stitches from hold onto larger diameter needles…” Does this just mean pick up the stitches with larger needles, the switch to the ones you got gauge with? There are no additional instructions indicating the latter, and I just want to make sure I’m doing it right.

Thanks so much for your help!

What’s your pattern? A link would be nice. As written it looks to me like you’re to work with the larger needles.

Sorry about that! Here’s the pattern: Birchbark. From what I can tell, you use the same size needle as the rest of the pattern, but maybe I’m wrong?

Thanks!

Yes, you want to use the same size needles as you used for the front and back.
Sometimes patterns call for two sizes of needle, one for the bottom edge, cuffs and collar and one for the body of the sweater. Since you may not be using the recommended size, the instructions sometimes say “Use the larger needle…” meaning the one used on the body of the sweater.

Thanks for the pattern link. It’s a very nice looking, comfy sweater.

Thanks, salmonmac! I just wanted to be sure. The sweater is fabulous. Really love it on so far and can’t wait to finish it!

We’d love to see a photo when you finish. Enjoy knitting the rest of it!