Changing needles in a pattern

I am trying to do the Wright’s Six Hour Sweater and I need to switch back and forth between size 17 and 13 needles. My question is, when I switch needles, am I supposed to leave the needle that is a different size in the yarn until the row is completed or do I remove it and make sure I am using the same sized needles? I am so confused. I have frogged this twice already, not because of this, but because I wasn’t really paying attention to the directions.

Here are the instructions:

Back/Front (make two pieces alike)
* With size 17 needles and two strands of yarn, cast on 34(38:42) sts.
* Change to size 13 needles and work in k2, p2 ribbing as follows:
  Row 1 (right side): *K2, p2; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.
  Row 2: P2, *k2, p2; rep from * across.
  Row 3 - 8: Rep rows 1 and 2 three times more.
* Change to size 17 needles and work in stockinette st. with 2 sts at each end in garter st as follows:
  Row 9: Knit.
  Row 10: K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2. Rep rows 9 and 10 until piece measures 13(13-1/2:14)" from cast-on edge, ending with a wrong side row.
* Change to size 13 needles and work yoke as follows:
  Next Row: * K2, p2; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.
  Next Row: K4, * p2, k2; rep from * to last 6 sts, p2, k4. Rep last 2 rows until piece measures 19(19-1/2:20)" from cast-on edge, ending with a wrong side row. Using size 17 needle, bind off in knit.
* Finishing: Leaving 11" neck opening, sew shoulder seams. Sew 12" side seam. Weave in ends.
* Enjoy!

Thanks.

P.S. How can I include the link without showing the entire URL? I am probably the only one that is doing that.

When they say to change to a different needle, just start knitting with the new size. There’s no need to remove the stitches from the current needle. When they say ‘change to size 17 needles’ just start knitting with the size 17. Simple.

For the link, [link word]( copy the url here) Just leave out the space after the = in my example.

Thanks Ingrid. I will try this again.