Changing from circular to dpns on hat

1. Is it best to use 4 or 5 needles?
  2. Where do you place stitch markers? I have 84 sts on the circular. I do know you can begin decreases on the circular.

This seems to confuse me. Thanks much!!

usually, you have 5 needles, so you’re gonna use 4, and use the last to knit with.

1. Whether you use 4 or 5 needles is dependent on how many stitches and personal choice. I would put 28 stitches on 3 needles and use the 4th for knitting. Since you’re decreasing the number on each needle will go down pretty quickly. If you’re more comfortable with the stitches on 4 needles place 21 on each needle. Or whatever works for you. They can be uneven.

2. I’m not sure how you’re decreasing. I generally cast on 80 and place a marker every 10 stitches. If a marker would fall at the end I just skip it and k2tog at the end of the needle. So again personal choice and how your pattern works.

Thank you Jan!

Do you mean cast on 80 at very beginning of hat?

I do, but I don’t usually follow a pattern. I make up my own. Some patterns with designs will require a different number of stitches to make the pattern work plus some sizes or yarn weights will be different. I guess what I said was confusing. What I meant was I cast on a multiple of 10 to make decreasing easy. I make hats for charity.

I also make up my own hats on the go and love working with multiple colors.

I like having work on four needles and knitting with the fifth.

Good hint – always knit one or two (or several) sts from the next needle before changing to the new needle. This way the needle changes are not always in the same place. I’ve seen that and there is definitely a column of loosness between one needle and the next.

This works for me. Find what works for you.

For me I just divide the stitches by 4 and just knit from one needle to the other. Just make sure your spaces are not real loose to begin with and just keep knitting! If using 3 needles divide by 3. Whichever way you go try to keep number on each needle as even as possible.**[quote=“joybells, post:1, topic:129354, full:true”]

1. Is it best to use 4 or 5 needles?
  2. Where do you place stitch markers? I have 84 sts on the circular. I do know you can begin decreases on the circular.

This seems to confuse me. Thanks much!!
[/quote]

Thanks Cathy! So you divide stitches onto 4 needles and knit around with 5th needle?
So you dont put stitch markers on until ready to decrease? How do you do the decreases?

I Put markers where the decreases are. One needle or 4 doesn’t change the pattern. Your decreases remain in the same place as they were.
I use two circular needles for socks or any small circular area. Check tube for directions you can see but again it all depends on what your making.

:grinning:

Sorry, it doesn’t matter how many needles. It’s just a matter of preference for you.

Leaning left decreases are SSK right lean are knit or purl two together.

Light bulb!!! Ty!:grin:

Your welcome! Hope your project turns out just the way you want! What are you making?

A chemo cap for my friend :wink:

God Bless you! I did knitted knockers for my friend who lost her breasts. It’s very rewarding.

That is great!! I just learned about those. :blush:

Happy Knitting!!

:hugs::heart:thanks!

Just a beanie😃