Changing colors

My computer is having trouble looking at the changing colors videos, and I couldn’t find this question elsewhere in the forum after a cursory glance…

I’m just playing around with switching colors, and I knit a striped dishcloth in garter stitch. On the right side of the work, left-hand edge, the first row of a new color looks like the last stitch is of the previous color. Does that make sense? It’s because I have to do the yarn-tug thing to keep a neat edge, but I was wondering if there were some way to avoid this unfortunate effect. I am not savvy enough to post a pic, but let me give a graphic example of what it looks like, using “b” for blue and “w” for whiite:

bbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbbbbbbb
wbbbbbbbbbbbb
wwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwww
bwwwwwwwww
bbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbbbbbbb
wbbbbbbbbbbbb

See what I mean? Is there anything I can do? Thanks,

Kirstin

Since it’s not a stitch, but really part of the old stitch wrapping around, :thinking: You could try slipping the first stitch and knitting the last stitch in each row, but I think that might only work on the center row of the color or you’d be slipping a white when you change to a blue row, if you see what I mean.

Maybe you could try to knit your first and last stitch in the row through the back loop to tighten it up a bit and be really conscious of making the first and last stitches snug.

If I have a :figureditout: moment, I’ll let you know.

Thanks, Ingrid. I will try knitting into the back and let you know how it works. It isn’t a problem too often, since usually I seam where the “bleeding” occurs, but it would be nice to keep it clean. Thanks again for always being so willing to share your knowledge and improve the craft for others!

Kirstin

I can in all honesty say it’s my pleasure! :wink: