Casting on

Question: I’m new to knitting and I’ve learned one way of casting on and have noticed several other ways as well… Are different casting ons meant for certain work? Or can you use any method for casting on for any type of project?

Hi! There are different cast on methods depending on what you are hoping to have the edging look like. I have a book called “Cast On, Bind Off”, which as the name implies has different cast on methods.

Welcome!!

Good question! There are so many cast ons it can be confusing. Everyone has their favorite, too. For me, and many others, my go to is long tail. It’s fairly stretchy and looks nice with most projects.

German twisted is a good stretchy one for necks, wrists and sock tops. The knitted cast on is a good go to one and easy to learn for beginners.

There are a few specialty ones that can be used for ribbing or other things, but they aren’t used as much.

The one I would caution you to avoid is backward loop. Except in certain situations like a few stitches in the middle of a project it often doesn’t look neat and can cause other problems.

There must be as many ways of casting on as there are ways to knit, and it’s all good if you get the results you want. If you need stretchy, or not stretchy, or a fancy edge, or a plain one, there’s a cast-on for it. They’re all part of the fun of learning.

Thank You Ladies…I just completed a simple dish cloth for my first attempt at a project… my step mother let me work a bit on hers on Christmas I ran got me needles and did one on my own once home… she showed me how to cast on with a slidding knot like you’d start out for crochet, however it didn’t look correct. So I went to you tube and found a cast on but it was different but worked better for me in the end… I managed to work out the decrease stitch and a finish stitch attached to the project… I need to know if I could use any cast on for any project before I go in blind… lol because step mom is 490 miles away so I’m on my own…

Are you familiar with ravelry.com? There are patterns for cloths and such on there. It does depend on the type of pattern and the result you’re hoping for. I have not done a cloth before, however I have heard of people using the knitted cast on and cable cast on to do them. Are you making the cloth as a diamond or are you making it like a square? That could matter depending.

Some projects will tell you which one they want you to use, or they’ll say to use one that will or won’t stretch. If they don’t say anything, try a long-tail or a knitted cast-on.

No matter what you want to make, we’ll be here and will help you with it. It’s not as if you’re going to make any new mistakes–I think I’ve made them all already!

Well done, you’ve accomplished a lot! If you can cast on, knit and purl, you’re well on your way to doing just about anything - and you already learned a decrease. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Someone here told me about starting the cast on without a slip knot. I tried it and it’s the only way I cast on now. I get better results without the knot.

That’s what I did when I was learning to knit, I had a friend show me how to do a cast on without the knot, I can’t stand making the slipknot to cast on. My edge is a lot neater without the slipknot.