Casting On

I’m new to knitting and really enjoying my first project – a fairly simple scarf. I’ve got lots of new things I want to try. One is a really pretty triangle shawl from Joanns.com. You basically add a stich every row until you have 143 stitches. How can I fit that many stiches on a needle? I’ve also seen some patterns that call for casting on over 100 stitches. I’m sure the answer is simple – but it’s eluding me. Answers will be greatly appreciated – thanks!

I would use a circular needle, but use it LIKE a straight. You can fit LOTS more sts on a circ!

Yup, I currently have 125 stitches on a 29" circular needle. The pattern I’m using started with 17 stitches and increases one at the end of each row. That’s a lot of rows! Luckily I only have 12 left to go! :wink:

Thanks to Julie and KellyK – can’t wait to get started!
:smiley:
Very Happy

I know that’s the way to go but I (ok I’ve said it before) enjoy working on straight needles sometimes a lot more than a circular. I have 168 stitches (an afghan) on a straight needle. I put in on my circular but it was too much trouble to keep shifting it around so I put it back on my straights. It’s just easier for me, on my hands. I guess it’s a personal thing, as time goes on and you try different needles you’ll find what you like!

Oh my gosh, you’re in Dearborn Michigan! My aunt lives there, I used to go there for holidays when I was little! (now in New York)
salut to Dearborn!

Hi Dearborn!

Welcome to KH! :waving:

I’m in Troy, MI now, but grew up (until age 12) in Taylor, MI.

It’s good to have another Mi knitter. We may have to have a MI get together like Naperville someday! :happydance:

Happy Knitting :XX:

Mary