Casting on stitches at the beginning of a row

I am a combined knitter and new to knitting. My pattern tells me to “Cast on 23 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows.” I can’t seem follow any of the cast on video examples on the website. Is it because I am a combined knitter? Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me what to do? Please help…

Have you tried the cable cast on? This is the one that I use, as does Annie Modesitt, who is also a combined knitter (I saw her using it on knitty gritty :wink:). Amy has a video for cable cast on. If you have tried it, what, exactly, is giving you trouble, maybe we can help you from there.

Yes, I have tried the cable cast on as well. The stitches either come apart or overlap (the new stitch is inside the original stitch). Since I am a combined knitter, my needle is always inserted directly into the back of the yarn. Could this be why none of the posted methods are working?

I had to use the “knitting-on” cast on being sure to insert the needle through the front to the back. The combined method knit was causing the stitch to come apart. After the cast on was completed, I then continued to knit in my usual combined method. I hope this helps someone else.