Casting On new stitches

I am making a kimono style (wrap) sweater vest for my 3 year old daughter… I am using two yarns together. After doing the back for a specific length, the pattern says to cast on additional stitches at the start of the next two rows to begin creating the sleeves. When I tried this it messes up… the yarn gap in the stitches gets larger and larger between each stitch. If anyone can give me any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks!

:think: How are casting on the new sts? That might be causing it…I like to use the knit-on…Amy has a videoof it here

You’re probably doing a backwards loop CO which is fine for 2-3 sts, but leaves big loops of yarn for more than that. Use the knit or cable caston from the page dustinac linked to.

I just figured out (finally) how to do a cable cast on for adding stitches in the middle of a row. The trick that was confusing me was that you knit onto the purl side of the work…I was trying to make it work to cast on to the knit side of the work, which didn’t work.

You can do it on either knit or purl side, you just have to have the needle with the stitches in your left hand.

I guess I’m usually knitting in the round, so that’s why casting on on the purl side works for me. Thanks for the clarification, though.

I think some of these methods of casting on might work… I will give it a try. Thanks so much!