Casting on mid-project - how do you do it?

Hi,

I’m making a blanket buddy http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50722.html?noImages=0 for a friends imminent new arrival and I’m stumped!

The blanket starts at the bottom and I have reached the bit where I need to cast on additional stitches for the paws:

Rows 40-41 Cast on 12 sts for Paws, knit to end of row – 64 sts.

I am fine with casting on at the beginning of a project but don’t know how to cast on in the middle…

Do I cast on to the left needle then knit them as part of row 40? Or do I somehow get them onto the right needle without knitting them on row 40 (would the yarn then be in the wrong place to continue knitting that row…?)

Not sure if I’ve explained my dilemma very well… Please help! Thanks.

I use a backward loop cast on when I have to cast on in the middle of a row. You can do it on the right needle and then continue on your way.

Video

Thanks, that worked a treat!

I am knitting the same thing- I’m making a blanket buddy http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50722.html?noImages=0 - and I have made it to the ears and now am totally confused. I can’t figure out how to do it. I am a new knitter. ( An old person, but a new knitter! :frowning: )

I have finished row 64 and then it reads, “Shape Ears Cast on 17 stiches, P3 tog, P 15-16 sts on right needle, 25 sts on left needle.” I don’t understand. It is a bunny lovey and I am making the ears but how do I do it? Which needle do the new stitches go on?

AnneMarie,

I’m only just starting the head so haven’t reached the ears… hope someone can answer your question - I’ll probably have the same problem!

What colour are you knitting? I’m using carnation for a little girl :slight_smile:

Mine is white. I am learning on it so I would like to do another that should better when I finish this. I am really stuck with these ears.

I attempted an answer on your other post about this. :wink:

Thank you, Ingrid! I posted over there first and then realized that the thread was posted July O5…a year ago…so I didn’t think I would get an answer there. Then I found jazzyp’s question and it was perfect as we are working on the same thing. As soon as my grandson leaves I will try to follow your answer. Thank you so much! I will let you know how I come out. I am new to knitting and new to this forum.