Casting on for rib

Is it possible to do a rib cast on using the knitting on method?

I’m just getting ready to cast on for a sweater. With long-tail cast on, I never get the right length of yarn for the rib cast on, it’s either too short or too long. I’ve been trying to figure it out myself, I can’t find instructions or a video, and I’m not at all sure what I’m doing. Is it even possible? Would I be better off just doing the knitting on and not worry about the rib pattern?

[SIZE=“4”]Thank you.[/SIZE]

Sure you can cast on sts in purl just like knit. I use long tail for most things and never found I really needed to do it purlwise for ribbing. I’ve gotten pretty good at estimating how much I need for LT, but it does take some practice. If there’s lots of sts like over 100, use 2 ends of yarn, just use one for the thumb and the other for the fingers.

If there’s lots of sts like over 100, use 2 ends of yarn, just use one for the thumb and the other for the fingers.

Thanks, Sue, I remember reading about this, now that you mention it. I’ll give it a go this evening.

When I have a lot of stitches to cast on, I like to use Lorraine’s method of long tail cast on using two balls of yarn. There’s no waste and no long tail.

I like to use the cast on that I learned on you tube from Tillybuddy. It only use one strand of yarn and you can cast on pairs of stitches that are really ribbing friendly since it looks like a k1p1 rib set up

I like to use the cast on that I learned on you tube from Tillybuddy.

Do you have a link? I’m going to try to find it, but just in cas… Thanks for the hint!