Casting Off Methods (DPN)

Just practising knitting a tube (in preparation for a pair of fingerless mittens), and got a bit stuck…

Do I need to cast off differently when using double pointed needles (I’ve not used them before), or is there a trick I can use to make it seamless?!

Thanks,
Kath

When I’m casting off with anything circular, I do everything as I would with something flat until I get to the last last stitch. when i have one st left on my right needle, I “pick up” and knit one stitch from the FIRST stitch I bound off and then finish off the bind off as normal.

it helps close the stepped gap that forms.

Can you please tell me exactly where you pick up and knit one stitch from the first stitch ? If that stitch is BO where do you insert your right needle? I am interested in learning this trick.

I don’t know for sure, but I imagine you could grab any of those two v’s now sitting on top the first bound off stitch.

I’d be interested to know too though, because that’s just a guess. Cool trick. :slight_smile:

What I do for circular binding off is to BO all stitches, then `make’ a stitch by inserting my right needle into the first bound off stitch (not in the BO, but in the stitch) and use that as the last BO stitch. It snugs up the end of the round with the beginning and evens it out.

sue

Not quite got the hang of the abbreviations yet… what’s BO? :?eyebrow:

Kath

BO - Bind Off

And bind off is the same as cast off, I’m just more accustomed to using it.

sue

Here’s another way: when you cast off your FIRST stitch, don’t drop it and forget about it - put it on the last needle in front of the last stitch. Cast off the rest as normal.

Or you could sew the tail after casting off so it goes between first and last CO stitch, exactly where another CO stitch would go.

Sarah

“… when you cast off your FIRST stitch, don’t drop it and forget about it - put it on the last needle in front of the last stitch. Cast off the rest as normal.”

Thanks Sarah, that really makes sense! So I just wiggle it along to the end of the needle and slip it onto the end?

Kath