Casting off alt row??

Hi, I am a fairly new knitter but I’m trying a slightly harder knit! I am knitting a rollneck slip over and have got to the ‘shape shoulder’ bit at the back. The pattern is saying I should cast off 6 stitches at beg of next 8 alt rows. I’ve started doing that, but it means all the shaping is going to be on one side which doesn’t look right! Please could someone tell me if the pattern is wrong or is it me!! Thanks

Can you give us a link to the pattern and a pattern name? Can’t tell if the pattern is wrong without seeing it.

Decreases usually are on one side and usually on the knit side in stockinette. Is that what you’re doing?

Hi, the pattern is in a book so I can’t send a link. But yes, the decrease is on the knit side in a stocking stitch pattern (stockinette in US!!). I just thought, because it’s shaping the shoulders surely you would need to decrease the same on both shoulders??!

Sometimes they use a different decrease because one is right leaning and one is left leaning. They aren’t identical, but it doesn’t usually make any difference in this situation.

Can you tell us the pattern name so we can at least look at a picture? You can also type out a few lines of the pattern that you are having trouble with (just not the whole pattern).

It’s called ‘rollneck slipover’ and its in a Dorling Kindersley book called Bumper Boom of Knitting. The pattern says:
Shape Shoulders: cast off 6 sts at beg of next 2 rows, then 6 sts at beg of next 8 alt rows. S23 on a stitch holder and leave.

It’s confusing, no doubt.
I would continue casting off 8sts at the beginning of the next 8 rows. That seems to contribute enough shaping to the back and the cast offs will be on each side of the back rather than one side.