Casting/Binding Off

Hi All,

I just completed my first project, a purse that was done by just knitting one skein of yarn. You then insert a liner, sew up the sides and attach handles. My question is, how do you know when to bind off? Do you just need to anticipate how much length of yarn you will need in order to finish the last row? I am not sure what to do and don’t want to go too far and not have enough yarn left to finish.

Thank you for your help! :thinking:

You can either eyeball it, or use a crochet cast-off, in which you knit til you’re out of yarn…there’s a great description with photos here: Crochet Cast-off (scroll down) The biggest downside to this one is that you really have to take care not to do it too tightly.

Thank You!

I appreciate your quick response and helpful link.

I’ll give it a go right now.

Smiles, :smiley:

For items like this that are sort of “fly by the seat of your pants” I sort of go by the tip of making sure you have enough yarn to go back and forth three times - meaning you take you working yarn and run a length back and forth from right to left to the right again and add a few inches. I use this most often to make sure I don’t get caught in the middle of a row before joining a new ball and it’s worked for me when binding off when getting to the end of a ball too! :thumbsup:

Hi again,

I just looked at the video demo. on this site for the crochet cast off and there is a single and a double one. What is the difference and which is easier and more versitile?

Thanks!