Cast on with corchet hook

Hi everyone,
I saw someone on a knitting television show us a cast on that was done with a crochet hook. i’ve used this cast on with waste yarn before to perform a provisional cast on but she was continuing on with the same yarn and using it for her actual cast on. I was wondering if anyone knows what the benefit of this cast on is? When would you choose to use it?:cheering:
Thanks

There are several ways to do it. If you use a chainless foundation row, then pick up the loose loops, you get a beautiful non-rolling braided-looking edge, nice for a sweater where you don’t want to bother with ribbing. If you just crochet a chain and pick up the loops, that’ll do if you despise other ways of casting on. You can also begin with a row of afghan stitch and knit from there. That’s especially good for crocheters who are learning to knit. It just depends on the knitter and the project.

You can also crochet the chain onto your knitting needle.

Suzeeq-that’s what I was talking about. I know how to do this cast on but my question was more or less why would you use this method instead of another? And what are it’s benefits.

The edge is more like the standard bind off edge, I believe.

How do you do that? :??