Cast on stitches at beginning of next row? I'm new at this

Hi-
I am working on a sweater. I have completed the first 6" and now the pattern says to “cast on 22 stitches at the beginning of the next row.” (to make the sleeves) How do you cast on stitches in the middle of a project? I have tried several times but end upwith a long tail and a hole. Any help, websites etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jillian

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve used what is called a “provisional” cast on for this - check out Amy’s cast on section under basic techniques - would everyone else agree??

I’ve done it using “knitting on” and had no trouble with holes. Of course, I learned from Amy’s great video. What would we do without them? :smiley:

I’m doing a sweater that has you do the same thing – to cast on stitches at the beginning of the next row. I’m doing the “knitting on” technique that Amy shows on her cast-on videos.

A provisional cast-on is typically used when you’re going to later remove the provisional thread and use those stitches to knit on and make a seemless join. So I’m not sure that would be appropriate in this situation.

thanks everyone!
I will try it out and let you know how it goes…

Jill

Thanks!
Worked like a charm… I appreciate the help!

Jill

:cheering: Yay…I love a happy ending… :smiley: