Cast on and bind of matching

Hi. Could someone tell me if there is a specific bind off method that they perfer which could match with the long tale cast on.

I’m doing a cable scarf for my husband and since there’s no frindge, I’d like the two ends to look somewhat similar.

Thanks!!

Since I’m not up on which bind off matches which cast off, I can tell you an idea that I’m using on a scarf.

Use a provisional cast on at the beginning. Then you can pick up those live stitches later on and bind them off. Both ends will match.

That’s the only way I know to do it. Cast on and bind off are always different because they are worked in opposite directions from the ends.

Do what Ingrid suggests. It’s easy, and guaranteed to give you identical results. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ingrid. (I always secretly hope that you view and post on my topics!!!)

My questions now is: I have already started my cable scarf. I’m about to finish today. Is there a way for me to go back and change that cast on or not??

Thanks.

I’ll be sure to use that way from now on. Also, on Amy’s video, she mentions that every other stitch will be twisted. What does she mean?? She says to stitch into the back of the twisted stitch.??

I’m not seeing that in my mind.

I certainly wouldn’t risk taking out the end so I could cast off. I suppose it could be done, but it’s not easy to take out a cast-on. You can’t just pick it out and pick up the stitches the way you could a cast-off. It would require picking up a row of stitches before you took off the cast-on, cutting off the cast on and then knitting the other way. There might be a better way, but I don’t know what it is. I say save it for next time. The ends don’t have to be exact. It’s a hand made scarf, let it revel in it’s lack of machine-made perfection.

As for the twisted stitches, I haven’t watched the video so I don’t know what twisted stitches you’re referring to. To knit into the back, however, you just knit into the back loop.

When a ‘regular’ stitch is on the needle, the front ‘leg’ is a little bit forward of the back ‘leg’. When it’s twisted it’s as if you took the stitch and reversed it. It feels a little tighter to knit into. If you don’t want to knit into the back, you can take it off and put it back on your left needle the other way and then knit it.

I had to laugh when you said you hoped I read your post! Please don’t raise me to cult status–I just avoid my responsibilities by hanging around here a lot–I certainly don’t know it all!