Cashmere too warm? Update: With Pics now

I’m planning to make the Manly Sweater in 100% Mongolian cashmere for my hubby. It’s to be an anniversary present :inlove:

Do you think it will be too warm? We live in northern CO and do have pretty cold winters.

Thank you!

I don’t think this site really answers your question, but it was interesting to read.

My understanding is that alpaca is SUUUUUUUPER warm… so maybe someone here who has knitted with both can give us a comparison?

People often say that a fibre is x times warmer than wool, but it’s often different depending on who’s making the claims, and I am not aware of anyone who actually has measured such a property. Why don’t they tell you? I honestly think half the time it is a guess. Or wishful thinking, or PR crap.
If you are worried, maybe you could knit it at a slightly looser gauge?

I think warmth factor is pretty subjective. Is your hubby generally cold? Mine is, so I would not hesitate to knit him a super warm sweater. On the other hand, I know people who wear T-Shirts all winter. I wouldn’t dream of knitting any of them a sweater of any kind. I say go with your instincts on this. And what a lucky man to be getting such a fabulous gift!

True, warmth is subjective. Hubby is pretty average, he’s neither very cold nor warm. And it’s I who’s lucky… the 7+ years we’ve been together have been the best of my life :heart:

Hildie, thanks for the article it was very interesting. I went ahead and bought the yarn for it from Sarah (she has a free shipping promotion going on right now) and best of all - it arrived today! It was shipped within 45 min of my placing the order and arrived in 3 days. Superlative customer service.

And the yarn. I think it’s the most I’ve ever spent in one go but both the yarn and hubby are so worth it. I’m in love :inlove:

Well, if he doesn’t like it, I’ll take it! LOL!! It’s gorgeous yarn and I think it would be a wonderful sweater. Heck, I live in Florida and think it would be nice and we don’t really have all that cold of winters.

Wow that is really pretty. I can’t wait to see the finished product. I have to agree about the customer service at Sarah’s. I order something this morning and it was already packed to go when I checked my email again an hour later. I can’t wait to see what it is like.

Thanks! Sweaters in FL? Really? :slight_smile:

I used the last bit of birthday money I had so I have GOT to lay off the yarn shopping for a while. I’ve been neglecting my WIPs in favor of yarn shopping sigh

stirsmommy, thank you. Hopefully the finished product will be worthy of the yarn (and hubby). What did you order at Sarah’s?

I’m drooling over all that cashmere. wow! and I can’t wait to see the final result! my DH is not a sweater guy- always too warm. not even a scarf or hat or gloves in the snow!

Too bad we don’t have “grope-a-vision” I’d love to feel up that yarn! I’m making some cashmere scarves for me and my friend and I just love it.

How did you get that yarn? When I went to the website, it said it was for wholesalers/direct order only.

bip, I placed a direct order. I think there are restrictions on how they can sell cashmere that’s the reason it’s only wholesale/direct order (to keep it controlled).
For direct order, you can either place the order on the phone, via email or fax. Or ask Sarah for a direct orderable link for that yarn and she’ll send it to you.
OR pm me and I’ll send it to you :slight_smile: