Carrying yarn up the side

HI,

I’ve never had to do stripes but I have a customer that wants them. I would hate to have to keep changing yarns all the time. When the yarn is carried up the side does it stay at the beg. of the row or does it go stitch by stitch along with the yarn i’m using for the row?

Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:
Heather

For only 2 or 4 rows in each color, you carry it up the side, wrapping the strands around each other once or twice to keep them from looping. You might be able to do 6 rows this way; any more and you’d need to cut the ends and weave them in.

Be mindful that the side with the carries may distort if you don’t keep the tension even with the other side. Make sure there’s some slack in the wraps. You don’t want to end up with one side shorter than the other (funky trapezoid). If you do all your carries on one side it will also be visibly different and heavier.

cam

Be mindful that the side with the carries may distort if you don’t keep the tension even with the other side. Make sure there’s some slack in the wraps. You don’t want to end up with one side shorter than the other (funky trapezoid). If you do all your carries on one side it will also be visibly different and heavier.

cam

It just twists around along the edge as Sue said, it doesn’t get carried all along the row. If you are going to seam the piece the carries won’t matter, but as Cam said you need to keep their tension correct. If the piece isn’t seamed the carries will show, and personally I don’t like seeing them. What are you making? You can try carrying the colors up the side and see how you like the look of it.