Carrying yarn in Fair Isle Knitting

Hello, I am knitting my first Fair Isle sweater. The pattern calls for a yarn color change in row 2, but not again until row 7. Do I need to carry the yarn through all those 5 rows? If not, how do I get the yarn up to the 5 rows to use it?
Thanks so much for reading this and for any replies!

Jeankaryl

You can carry the yarn up or cut it and weave the end in later–it’s up to you to see if it gets in the way. Just drop it and continue on with the other yarn. You can kind of ‘pin’ it to the side by bringing the yarn in use under the hanging one.

If the sweater has a button band carrying it as Ingrid said would work well. Make sure you don’t pull the yarn too tightly or it will affect the edge.

I am knitting my first Fair Isle sweater. The pattern calls for a yarn color change in row 2, but not again until row 7. Do I need to carry the yarn through all those 5 rows?

If by this question you mean do you carry it along like you did over the row you used the color on, the answer is no. I’d probably cut the yarn and join it in again when I needed it the next time if it was me, but it’s up to you.

I would, too.

Thank you so much to all of you who replied to my post. This forum is wonderful, and I learned what I needed to know from you all!:yay:
Jean