Cardigan- pick up and knit stiches on armhole

Hi everyone! I’m reading these instructions for a cardigan but don’t quite understand the picking up part. After knitting the back which looks like /\ ,I need to work on the armholes. The instructions start off like:

WS: k1, p2, k1, p2, k1.Turn piece so RS is facing you. Working from left to right, use crochet hook to pick up in reverse direction and knit one stitch into each row and make YO groups as below.

With yarn attached to live stitches and beginning next to last stiches worked, YO , [pick up pattern] until 63 stitches.

I understand how the pick up and knit structured work but don’t understand the very first line, like do I just k1,p2,etc and then do the pick up & knit stitches?

I bought the pattern so didn’t want to list the entire detailed steps but this is the Ravelry link with pictures
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ginsberg/people?page=3&view=cards

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to KH!

Looks like you work the 7sts from the wrong side, k1, p2, k1, p2, k1 then turn to the RS. Now use the working yarn to pick up sts from left to right. This is the opposite of the usual direction for picking up sts. Usually you would have the crochet hook in your right hand. For this, the crochet hook will be in the left hand.
I pick up several sts and then slip them off the back of the crochet hook onto the needle. Of course, if it’s easier, you can pick up sts with the left hand needle for this part of the pattern.

Thank you for clarifying! I was a bit confused since this instruction was under the “Picking up stiches” section and I saw k1,P1,etc as the first step.

1 Like