Cardigan armhole decreases. What does this mean please?

Cast off 4 sts at beginning of next 2 rows.
Row 1: K1, slip 1, K1, pass slipped stitch over, work to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1.
Row 2: Purl.
Repeat these 2 rows until 24 sts remain, ending with a purl row.
Cast off.

I don’t know if work means repeat what it says prev. for that row or continue with knit stitch? Also, do I cast off 4 stitches at beginning of each row as it says to repeat these 2 rows?

I am new to knitting and teaching myself.

Welcome to KH. “Work” means to knit or purl as appropriate to your pattern for the row you are on. If you’re doing stockinette you will do knits on the right side, purls on the wrong side between your decreases. If you were working something else, just do what you’ve been doing in between the decreases. HTH

Thankyou everso much. This is very helpful :slight_smile: I love knitting and am knitting a cardigan for the first time. It is aduckegg green baby cardigan and is looking very nice. The only other thing I have knitted is a simple cable knit scarf. My grandma taught me to knit and purl when I was a kid but I am having to work out, by researching the internet, how to read knitting patterns.

Do I have to cast off 4 stitches st the start of every row until I have 24st left or just the first 2 rows.

Hamster
:woot:

Hi and welcome!
Cast off 4 only at the beginning of the first 2 rows of the armhole shaping.
Then repeat these two rows only:
Row 1: K1, slip 1, K1, pass slipped stitch over, work to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1.
Row 2: Purl.
Casting off the 4 sts on each side will give you a base for the armhole and the gradual shaping on the following rows will gently slope the armhole edge.
Good luck with the cardigan which sounds adorable and welcome back to knitting.

Thankyou! This and Grumpy Granny’s answer will sort me out for a while. I have now only a few stitches to undo rather than the many rows I would have had to do before I noticed it didn’t look right. I am very happy.

:cheering: Hamster