Can't work out how to increase sts into pattern

Hi,

I’m currently working on Tivoli pattern 2040.

The sleeve pattern starts off in rib, then increases to 62 sts for the main sleeve.

The info is to knit panel 1, panel 2 and then panel 1 again as for the side panels in the back and front of the jumper.

Panel 1: p3, [k2,p1] 4 times, k2, p3
Panel 2: k2, yfwd, k2tog tbl, p3, k2, p4, k2, p3, k2, yfwd, k2tog tbl.

Panel 1 makes up 20 sts and panel 2 makes up 22 sts.

The sleeve eventually increases to 98 sts (a total of 18 stitches increasing on each side)

Panel 1 is a cable pattern and panel 2 is also a cable/bobble pattern with narrow cables with lace stitching, on each side of the main cable.

The finished pattern looks to have panel 2 on either side of panel 1, which looks good, but I can’t work out how to increase the stitches into the pattern without having two or more panel 1s next to each other, which would look odd. And if I increase into panel 2, I’ll end up with two cables right on the seams which I also think would look odd?

Any help really appreciated!

Welcome Katie!
So the pattern wants panel 2 in the middle of the sleeve with panel 1 on either side? But you like the look of the reverse (panel 1 in the center with panel 2 on either side)?
Since the increase isn’t enough for a complete panel, it may be best to continue whichever panel is on the sides rather than start an alternate panel. This is going to be on the inside of the sleeve so it won’t make a major impact. The best thing is to keep the seam area simple. Don’t have cable crosses within a stitch or two or even three of the seam. Use the background stitch, stockenette or reverse stockinette here.
If you look at commercial sweaters you’ll see what happens to cables at the seam. Often, they continue in stockinette without crosses because there aren’t enough sts and they look fine

Hi salmonmac,

Sorry, I do want to stick with the pattern and not change it, I’m just not sure how I can work the increase stitches into the pattern with a result that looks like the picture on the front. If I follow the pattern I imagine I’d increase into panel 2, but then when I stitch the seam I’ll end up with two identical cables that I seam together and I can’t help but feel that would look odd? I think I might be overlooking something. :frowning: I’m not sure if you can see what I mean from the picture? If you look at the sleeve on the left you can see they must have increased into panel 2, as you can see the lace part on either side of the panel 1 cable.

Ah, now I understand what you mean about the seam bringing the two cables next to each other. Yes, that is what happens but no, it doesn’t look odd. I rather like the look of the cables growing out of the seam until you have enough sts to comfortably cross them. I always think that look is pretty even if I’m likely the only person to notice it. Of course you have to be careful to match up the pattern as you seam.

I suppose you could substitute a portion of the lace panel and a portion of the cable panel into the increases at the seam but to me, that would look odd. You would still have to wait till you had enough sts for a full repeat of a motif and while you were adding sts, it would appear unbalanced to me. But it’s your sweater and you can modify it as you would like. That’s the important thing.

Thanks, I’ve done cabled sleeves before but never hit this issue. I’m trying to work out whether it would be better to have the cables, I think I’ll have three reverse stockinette either side to work with on the seam, so the cables will be close but won’t form part of the seam, or just do one lace panel then reverse stockinette the rest of the increase (approx 5 1/2 wide reverse stockinette under the arm)

What do you think would look better?

Either would work but I think that’s really your choice. Both cable and lace panels are lovely and the whole sweater is going to be beautiful. You could knit the front and the back and then decide. Seeing the patterns on the needles may help…

I finished it! I decided to add one more lace panel then increase the rest of the sleeve plain. I thought it would sit nicer then too. I was happy with how it turned out though!

1 Like

Oh my, just stunning! You’ve made a gorgeous sweater. Enjoy every minute wearing it.

Thank you! :slight_smile: although it’s not for me, this was a Christmas present for someone that I finished just in time!